SOME OF MY MOST RECENT WORK...
THE GRAND YORK
"Be the reason someone smiled today"
6 meeting rooms (including the Chairman's and ballroom)
The Rise Restaurant & Bar
The Grand cookery school
Spa & Leisure
This was a fabulous project to be involved in. Leading the project on the ground helping the owner and the board transform the business.
This transformation was achieved through significant investment, re-branding, developing new concepts including a restaurant, fist class lounge and cookery school, building a successful team obsessed with great service, establishing effective partnerships and building a growing reputation.
Results were achieved as a result of this activity both financial and recognition including winning the coveted White Rose best hotel award.
THE ALOFT LIVERPOOL
"The Hotel, restaurant, bar and meeting space in Liverpool"
5 meeting rooms
NYL Restaurant & Bar
This project saw the transformation of a nineteenth century Insurance building in the heart of the City.
As the very first Aloft in the UK there was significant Brand, owner and press interest.
I led the operational, product development and commercial side of this project whilst working for Redefine BDL in collaboration with the owner and brand.
I worked with commercial team and the brand owner to develop and deliver a strategy that led to profitability and market share within its first year.
THE GRAND COOKERY SCHOOL
“A place to relax, have fun, make friends and learn something new”
The brief was compelling; to utilise a large basement space that would help improve owner returns. This would be done by further enhancing to The Grands reputation and creating a new stream of income / reason to stay.
Through working with the Groups development team, cookery school consultant Rob Cottam and recruiting a fantastic Head Chef tutor a space and experience has been created that is truly unique.
Helping gain guests confidence through opening safely and communicating clearly
I worked with a leading UK Hotel Group to ensure they opened on time, safely and profitably.
It was important that the Groups guests, team and visitors all felt safe in returning to the business.
This was done through:
1) Completing a Risk Assessment in line with UK Hospitality and HSE guidelines.
2) Completing SOP's (safe operating procedures) that outlined how the business would operate. They included systems, procedures, equipment, behavioural changes, signage, audit and documentation.
3) Training in and implementing the SOP's whilst actively supporting once the business was re opened.
4) Ensuring that the message via the Groups website was clear, accurate and compelling.
5) Implementing a Covid Board to continuously review and refresh the SOP's and Risk Assessments as required.
THE GRAND JUNIOR BOARD
"Learn, impact and have fun"
The most successful businesses know that their people are at the heart of what they do. They instinctively know that investing in their people is "the right thing to do.
I created the Junior Board to bring together a group of talented individuals who all wanted to learn, impact the business and have some fun.
A monthly Board meeting was held along with supporting development sessions and visits by senior and influential people in the area.
During their time we completed:
- 5 x mentor sessions
- Reduced single use plastic by 86 % attracting multiple PR, guest and media interest.
- Held the first "Grand Green summit" with local suppliers.
More importantly the success has been in seeing the members grow in confidence, be promoted and critically retain their skill, creativity and enthusiasm.
YORK HOSPITALITY EXPO
"Discover, develop, dream"
I came up with the idea to put on the first York Hospitality Expo in response to the difficulty the industry has always had in both attracting and retaining talent and helping people understand that the industry can be a great career.
Working with York BID, the York Hospitality Association and the Tourism business the first Expo was put on as part of York business week.
- Speakers including Linda Moir - formerly with London 2012 & Virgin Atlantic
- John Atherton - former COO McDonalds UK
- The first "Junior panel" made up of those taking their first steps in the Industry
- It attracted the highest attendance in the business week.
- Achieved significant sponsorship from LNER, York Racecourse, York University, Lupton Fawcett and the National Railway museum
HOSPITALITY ASSOCIATION OF YORK (HAY)
"Hospitality helping York grow"
I took over the Chair of HAY at a time when it needed vision, direction and energy. A time when the voice of Hospitality needed to be heard.
It was important that HAY was proud to be part of the wider visitor economy and be passionate about driving a coherent message for the Hotels, Guest Houses, Restaurants, and Venues across the city.
I was proud to have driven membership and associated fees, develop and deliver the first hospitality expo, support the creation of its website, represent the industry on the board of York BID and the Chamber leadership advisory board and be invited as "guest of honour" at the Lord Mayors dinner where I was invited to give the after dinner speech.